Monday, July 7, 2008

Fort Snelling Service






This morning was the internment service for both my mother and my grandfather. Grandpa Rosenfelt passed away last August and Mom's death came just 5 months later. Both were cremated which is why we had some time to wait to do the internment. Those who serve in the military and their spouses are allowed to be buried at a national cemetary. Grandpa Rosenfelt served in the army (I believe). Mom was never in the military, but Dad served in the navy. That's why we were able to do her burial there as well.
As you probably read from my previous post, there are a lot of people buried at Fort Snelling National cemetary. They do many burials every day so they don't allow for long services. They have a very specific way it all works. We drove to a designated place and then a car came to lead us to the place where we would do the service. The Memorial Rifle Squad was there and shot off their guns in salute to Grandpa's military service, they presented a flag to Grandma and a bugler played taps. After that part was finished, Pastor Bert shared some scripture and prayed with us. Fort Snelling only allows 15 minutes to pack everything in. It was short, but I understand that it's a logistics thing. Even with understanding that, it still seemed hard to really wrap my brain around what was really happening.

I took lots of pictures so I could have some memories of today. I don't have any from the memorial service and I feel bad about that, but I would have felt strange taking pictures, too.

I'm looking forward to being able to go back once the grave stone is placed (it wasn't there today) and spending some time processing everything.

I had explained, to Ethan, a little bit of what was going to happen today. I described a cemetary as a place where people go to think about and remember their friends and family who died. Everything happened so fast today that Ethan wasn't sure what to think. But he did say something that was really sweet. We were getting ready to leave and he said, "I want to think about Grandma". He was really distressed that we hadn't talked more about her so I was able to tell him 2 stories about Grandma.

The first thing I told him was how Grandma was so excited when he was born that she came to the hospital right away the next day and since she couldn't hold him right away, she printed off some pictures that Nathan had posted on our website and she hugged those pictures instead! The other story I told him was about how Grandma was supposed to bring Brian to work one day. She ended up making a wrong turn at a detour and getting completely lost. Brian had to call in to work to say that his "transportation was unreliable" and Grandma decided drive to Chanhassen to see us instead so she could spend time with Ethan. She thought that would be a good way to try to make it up to Brian!

Here are some pictures from today.


Some of the group gathered at Dad's before driving to Fort Snelling.


The Memorial Rifle Squad


This woman is thanking Grandma, "on behalf of the President" for Grandpa's service.

Pastor Bert leads the internment service.

Audrey and I hanging out at Dad's before the service.

Audrey and I with the posse.

Mom's "homeys"The family

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At 9am today I was thinking about you and the family and hoping everything was going ok. It has been a hard weekend for myself, it has finally hit me what has happened. I spent the day at work with an emergency lock down due to a gas leak. Cranky people calling me not so nice names because they where missing lunch, rec, yard, and game time was not fun. I believe you mother helped me handle it and not snap at the guys. I was sadden today but also comforted as well. I get to see you father on the 20th. Spellman and I are going over there for dinner. I am excited for it.

hugs to you and your family. HOpe to see you guys soon.

love-
cousin christine

Megamom said...

Hugs ... It still looks beautiful despite the shortness of it all. Ill give you a hug in person when i see you next!