Thursday, January 22, 2009

Elaboration on my thoughts on the previous post

I thought I would clarify my thoughts on the quote I included in the previous post before moving on from it. Here's my take on it. I don't believe that it's sound theology to say that God would heal someone because if He didn't it could cause a lot of people to lose faith. I believe that God will do whatever brings Him most glory and accomplishes His will. That's not an easy answer either. I'll admit that. But it does explain why God may answer some prayers in the way that we would hope and others in ways that we don't much better.

I believe the poster was sincere in her faith and her statement. She's in the middle of a difficult situation. However, I would caution anyone who is giving advice to someone else in a crisis situation to be careful with statements like that. I believe with absolute certainty that God can heal and intervene in any situation. I don't know that He will choose to do so in the way that I want. That doesn't mean my faith is less strong.

Which is a stronger evidence of Christ's miraculous work in a person's life: A person miraculously healed (here on earth) of terminal cancer or wife that, though losing her husband, continues to praise God in the midst of incredible circumstances? Both scenarios are powerful and can have equal impact in increasing one's faith.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Amy,
I have been reading that blog that you quoted from and I suspect I had the exact same thought that you did when you read that particular post. I didn't comment on your previous post because I am having a hard time articulating what I am thinking. I do believe God chooses to heal on this earth but also chooses to heal in heaven through death. Either way, He is answering prayer. Of course we should have faith that God will do what He knows to be best but to declare that we know what God knows is best is a little presumptuous. Perhaps that post was a little subconscious bargaining with God. I truly hope that they keep in mind that God can take their baby to heaven and that He will be glorified in that answer to their (and our) prayers.

Anonymous said...

Well said. Thanks Amy.