Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Remarriage

What a provocative title, huh? This post is a collection of my thoughts and responses to the question, "Do you think that your dad will get remarried someday?"

Short answer: Yes. My father is young, handsome and a very good catch.

Very long and rambling answer follows:

I read somewhere that men who lose a spouse marry faster than women in similar circumstances. There are a couple of different factors in play, but the thing that stuck out to me about the one article I read was that a relatively short period of time between the death of the men's spouses and their remarriage was particularly hard on their daughters. I'm a daughter so that struck a chord with me. The article went on to say that it somehow made it harder for the daughters to work through their grief.

Part of me understands how this could be true. I've thought about how I would feel if my father remarried quickly. "Quickly" is a relative term. So, for this purpose, I'll define that as within 2 years of the death of my mom. It would be easy to see that as a statement about my parent's marriage. If Dad were to call me tomorrow and tell me that he found "someone", I would feel like maybe my parent's relationship wasn't as special as I thought it was if he was able to move on so quickly. I would fear that other people would look at the situation and think the same thing.

However, the truth is that my mom isn't coming back. Having my father sit around lonely doesn't mean that he loved my mom more than if he were to remarry.

Dating and remarriage doesn't have to dishonor the memory of the deceased spouse. It sometimes does in one of two ways: 1) The surviving spouse looks for a "replacement" to fill the shoes of their deceased spouse. They want someone who looks, talks, acts, and thinks just like them. Or 2) they swing way to the other side of the spectrum. The surviving spouse was so in love in their marriage that they have resigned themselves that they will never have a relationship as meaningful as that again so they aren't choosy. They just want someone to do laundry, cook supper and provide companionship. I would have a very difficult time dealing with either one of those scenarios.

The biggest deal breaker for me would be for my father to pursue a relationship with someone who didn't share a genuine, strong faith in Christ. That would spit in the face of the memory of my mother more than anything I could imagine. I can't even begin to tell you how offended I would be. If my father were to introduce a woman to his grandchildren that he wouldn't want Audrey to grow up to be like, would break my heart. I know it's not my decision to make, but that is the one and only thing that is non-negotiable for me and I would speak up about.

So, I guess that's my answer to anyone who might ask. It would be an adjustment, but unless my father was pursuing someone that didn't love the Lord, the adjustment would be managable.

7 comments:

Megamom said...

I saw a quote somewhere that said " If a man remarries ,its because he adored his first wife, if a woman remarries, its because she detested her first husband." Im still pondering it myself ... not sure its exactly true either but it was food for thought. Hugs my friend

Anonymous said...

vccaqI've heard something similar...that if a couple has a good marriage then the remaining spouse is more likely to get remarried. I think I would feel the same way as you do, though, about a parent remarrying.

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for writing this, im in this exact situation and i feel very alone because i dont know whats normal. your advice was applicable and made sense to me! thanks for the encouragment

mentoraz said...

My dad did remarry a woman who does not share my family's faith. I thought she didn't share my dad's faith either...but I'm beginning to wonder if that was ever genuine. Either way, I pray you do not ever have to explain to your children why their grandfather conducts his personal life in a way that is not honoring to the Lord. My dad waited four months before getting married.
I am still not sure how to deal with the fact that he did not allow any of us to grieve before demanding that we accept his new wife into our family.
My children have all reacted in different ways. We pray for her/them and we go on with our lives...hoping to redeem the days that the Lord has given us.
I pray that your dad can find all of his sustenance and encouragement from the Lord Himself. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I just ran across your blog through another friend's site and its unbelievable how much we have in common. My mom passed away, after a fast battle with cancer, 2 years ago, only a month shy of the birth of my 1st child, a daughter. My faith in Christ has been the sustaining factor for me as I miss her wonderful friendship. My husband and I now live with my dad to try and help with the adjustment to this new "normal". He too is struggling with the desire to meet someone with the potential to remarry. Finding someone seems to be the real challenge. No one will ever be as fitting as my mom was for him. But, I can see thats why he is so lonely. Life was wonderful for him with my mom and now so much is missing. All I know is that God can provide this "new" someone and when/if that happens all I can do is support him.

Anonymous said...

I guess it all depends on how the parent handles the remarriage. If he gets engaged to his second wife a mere two months after his wife of nearly 40 years dies, that's bad. If he breaks the news of the engagement to his friends before he even talks to his sons and their families, that's also bad. It wasn't my dad but my father-in-law.

I thought I was slowly accepting the situation, and had stopped feeling like he was being a selfish old fart, but yesterday was my daughter's birthday and her grandpa didn't call. She turned three, and though she wouldn't have remembered the call anyway, we would have.

Anonymous said...

I have lost my mother to the battle of cancer about 9 months ago. my mother and father were married for 40 years and were both ordained ministers. Their ministry was Prison Ministry and they were such an awesome team together. Just within the past month my dad has met someone, and he is really seriously in love with her. I don't know the woman and haven't met her only because she lives in another state. She is younger than my dad and from the things my dad has told me, I honestly feel she is not the one that could go and do what my dad does. Another thing that bothers me the most is my dad moving out of state to be with her. He has shared this more than once with all of us kids.He would also be leaving 6 grandchildren and the 2 prison ministries he is involved in and plays a big role in. The one thing I do see is that they share the same faith. Maybe I don't need to be so harsh about this woman, but it is hard for me to see my father with another woman. I thought I share my story of what I am dealing with and maybe shed some light on what differences and similarities we face.