Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Calling home- Wednesday

If I had been able to call Mom, I would have called her a dozen times today begging for her help. Ethan wouldn't listen to anything I told him. I yelled so loudly at him that I hurt my voice and I was so angry that I hit his wall. I'm not proud of myself. I've been wondering if my mom could actually see me. I wonder what she would think. I was not at my best.

I would regularly call Mom to ask her for advice on what to do with the kids in certain circumstances. I don't know why I did because she could never remember having any of the problems that I was experiencing. If she did, they were easily resolved. I think Brian and I must have been the easiest children in world as infants and toddlers. I can't speak for the other ages because I hadn't got to the point where I needed advice on elementary school, junior high, etc.,

One of my favorite stories of mom was from this last fall. Mom knew the struggles I was having with getting Ethan to listen. One of her ideas to me was to just "love him". "What does that mean?" I would ask her, "That tells me nothing, Mom!" One Saturday, when we were at my parent's house, Ethan defied Mom. I don't know what she had asked of him, but he clearly disobeyed her. Mom told Ethan that he had to sit for a little while at the kitchen table. I walked in at that point and Ethan looked at me, his eyes full of confusion, and he said, "Grandma said, 'no'"! I looked at Mom and said, "You just need to love him, mom". We laughed. Poor Ethan. He had no idea that Grandma could say, "no". She obviously didn't do it often!

No comments: