Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hello Germany

My blog had a visitor from Germany today. Hello! So far you get the prize for being the visitor from the farthest away.

It's Thursday so it was another Bible study day. It was a struggle to finish the lesson this week. After my temper tantrum toward God at the beginning of the week, I ended up having a very smooth and uneventful several days. I still struggled through some of the Bible study material.

We're learning about God's glory. I wasn't into it. I know that shows how much I still have to learn about God. My gut reaction to the idea that we exist to glorify God is that it doesn't sound all that great and that it's kind of selfish of God.

It's a wrong attitude to have and I need to work through it. It says something about my pride and how I'm basically saying, "Your ways are higher than my ways, but I prefer mine". That's sin. Sin is serious. I glanced through Job 38 today. Just a brief glance is enough to put me in my place.

I pray for a desire to be able to reply like Job in chapter 42- "I know that you can do all things, no plan of yours can be thwarted. . . Surely I spoke of things I did not understand. Things too wonderful for me to know. . ."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you watched "Facing the Giants" yet? It is an awesome movie, and might help your feelings about God and His power. I know it is just fiction and things don't always work out as well as they do in the movie, but it is a very encouraging movie. I'd recommend seeing it.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings about this. I know I've felt the same way at times about God's glory and wanting to exist for more than that. But what more is there? What I want is actually less. That's hard for me to grasp sometimes when I'm feeling selfish, but it's not a topic that comes up often in conversation. So I appreciate your frankness and the scripture references. I'll have to read Job again.

I just wanted to let you know that I've been keeping up with your blog, and God has been using you to encourage me. Doesn't that sound ironic? You're frequently in my thoughts, and I'm glad to know how to pray for you. Can't wait to come play with the kids again!

Kimberely