Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Delivered from the fire

The day my mom passed away, Mom, Bobbi and I were in mom's room while Dad called someone. We had recently received the news that there was some mass that had shown up on her CT scan. Bobbi reminded Mom of some truths they had learned together in their recent Bible study on Daniel.

They had just learned that there are three different scenarios that can happen when Christians face fiery trials:

1) We’ll be delivered from the fire. God could choose to take the fire away.
2) We can be delivered through the fire. God could sustain us through the hard times.
3) We can be delivered by the fire into His arms. God will meet us on the other side of the fire in eternity.

We had no idea that, in less than 12 hours, Mom's would be delivered straight into Jesus' arms. The fire she experienced was brief.

I was able to spend some time talking with my dad, crying and sleeping today. It was what my body and my spirit needed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard a message somewhere on that same thing not too long ago and it is a concept that really stuck with me, too. We always assume that being removed from the trial (or having it removed from us is the only way God answers our prayers.) But I think that most often, He answers by taking us through the trial, since we already know that trials are going to be a part of our lives. And we all know that at some time we will be delivered to Him by a trial. I hadn't really thought much about that part, because that only happens once for each of us! But that "helping us through the trial" rather than "out of it" is very meaningful to me.

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, Chris is "anonymous." Sorry I didn't sign it.

Chris