Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Mighty Fortress

"The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

This morning was the beginning of the new Bible study that I'll be doing for the next 8 weeks. It was really good to be there, but as we got to the end of the session, tears just started streaming down my face. My emotions are so close to the surface right now. It doesn't take much to get the tears started.

I really do miss my mom. This study that started today is one that she's done and I know she would have liked to discuss it with me. To tell you the truth, I've felt numb to a lot of the Bible studies that I've gone to in the past. I think it's easy to allow that to happen when you've grown up in the church, gone to a Christian school, Bible College. . . It's not inevitable, but it's understandable.

I was working on the lesson for Day 1 in my book over nap time today. Today's title is "A Mighty Fortress". I underlined these sentences:
"Christ as our stronghold does not mean life will be easy or trouble free, but rejoice with me that we do not have to live in fear. God's purposes may lead us to the path of suffering, but wherever He leads, we know he protects. He may protect from suffering or through suffering, but the more we know Him, the less we need to fear." Later there was a sentence that said that we should pray to the Father asking Him to "teach us to see His sheltering hand even when that hand takes us through difficult circumstances."

That's what I need to pray right now.

"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer."
II Samuel 22:2

"The Lord will roar from Zion, and thunder from Jerusalem, the earth and the sky will tremble. But the Lord will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel." Joel 3:16

No comments: